Saturday, January 5, 2013

Stoplight Quick Assessment Check in Tool

I am always looking for ways to make my teaching life easier and a few years ago, I found the idea of using sticky notes of different colors for students to communicate how they were doing (sorry...I do not remember the original source).  A red sticky note could mean they were stuck or a green if they entirely understood and were working well.   In a math classroom of 35 or more students, it is sometimes very difficult to check in with everyone, so this strategy is a great tool for many different scenarios. 

I decided to finish up my work on my own visual method for checking student perception of their understanding.  I had a blinking stoplight in my bedroom when I was young, so I decided a stoplight (I know it's been used before) would be the best graphic to create.   Here's a snapshot of the 8.5 x 11 version: 


Instead of having only sticky notes (which tend to break down and get lost easily), I also have created a set of student cards.   One version is to simply cutout and laminate (then hole punch with a ring if you like).  The other version is designed to be cut, laminated, and then folded to stand up on the desk.  Here is a picture of the laminated versions: 


I also had another idea that could aid groups in decided how they are doing as a group.  I am always looking for ways for groups to truly monitor each other and their learning and this is one way to facilitate this.   I created a blank stoplight and then separate colored lights.  Each group will need to decide where they fall as a group and if they are all not "Green", then reteaching/re-explaining in the group will be necessary.  Pictures to follow for this in the classroom (we are still on Winter break here in Oregon).  


I also have posted all the clipart I created for this resource and a full commercial copy can be purchased (sorry...they took forever to create and couldn't justify listing this one for free) on TPT at: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Stoplight-Traffic-Clip-Art-Full-Size-Image-Collection

If you have questions or comments, please feel free.  I am always looking for ways to improve what I've posted for free.  If you have a special request or would like the wording or style of clip art changed, just let me know :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment